Saturday, November 19, 2011

          Today's assignment was to listen with/to the Journey On relaxation.  When the segment started, I admit I was starting to feel at ease and relaxed. I at first struggled with his voice. Being the OCD person I am, I was hearing his saliva and clicking sounds and couldn't focus on what he was saying. I found myself a few minutes in getting over that nonsense.  Until, he started using medical terms, in particular - GI Tract and blood. It was than I mentally lost interest. He took something that was soothing and relaxing and made it very clinical too me. I hope I was not the only one that felt this way, but I know I will be.
          I will not give up on it. I will try again tomorrow as I did find it to help my terrible dry throat cough. The only time I did not cough today was during this tape.
          Blessings! ~ H

4 comments:

  1. Hello Heather,

    That is pretty funny how you noticed the speakers unintentional saliva (or lack there of) noise! Maybe it would help to practice the exercise he explained but with listening to soft music or something that actually relaxes you. I felt that by bringing up the medical terms within the recording, I was more able to visualize what I was trying to do. I imagined most of my blood circulating around my GI tract, as he mentioned, and pushing it up my back, over my shoulders, down my arms, and into my hands. The detail he spoke about really helped me to accomplish the exercise in a satisfying way.

    Hope you begin to feel better,
    Emily Rider

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, your blog created a smile in me....I find it fascinating how perceptions are so amazingly different. I found the man's voice to be methodical and soothing and was falling asleep shortly thereafter....lol Obviously I need to keep practicing and have found a seated position that will not allow me to get so comfortable that I fall asleep. I did enjoy the feeling of total relaxation and clearing my mind though. Let me know how it goes if you try it again, I'm not sure if you will be able to get past those two points that turned you off, you may need to venture out and find another meditation cd to try. Good luck, and remember relax..:) kelsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Heather.

    Don't feel too bad for not being able to get into the relaxation exercise. Not every exercise or meditation tool is designed for every individual...that is part of what makes us individuals!

    I struggled getting into the meditation clip as well, largely for some of the same reasons you did. I found the tone difficult to listen to, the pauses awkward, and the pacing difficult to focus on without allowing external thoughts and comments to intrude. Generally, I prefer to allow my mind to wander and deal with things as they occur to me rather than attempt to stay focued on any one specific thing. As a result, I have never found guided meditation or relaxation to be particularly helpful.

    Don't give up and keep trying, but don't beat yourself up too bad if you find that this isn't the perfect too for you. There is a plethera of different methods out there to explore.

    -Joy Clark

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely see how the medical terms and background noise could be distracting! If you like the feeling and idea of relaxation techniques and guided imagery, there is an abundance of other types/kinds/voices... some with music, etc. I'm sure you can find one that will be a good fit!

    ReplyDelete