Today I started the Subtle Mind practice. I think it is difficult to compare it to the previous exercise of Loving-Kindness as I feel they serve two different purposes. The Loving-Kindness exercise was more guided by our narrator than Subtle Mind.
With too much time in between the speaking, I lose control of my thoughts, my mind. I am unable to keep my mind clear during the quiet. I am a mom of 3, business owner, birthday holiday season, oh and a student. I always find myself thinking of something. I am not stressed by my thoughts. I find my thoughts to be gentle reminders of my daily needs, activities and feelings.
I do agree that there are physical benefits from achieving spiritual wellness. Relaxing cardiac activity and lowering the blood pressure, even for these few moments, does make you feel refreshed and tackle anything.
Heather,
ReplyDeleteI understand all the events that can fill your thoughts and I don't know if it is even possible to clear your mind the first time you attempt to do it. I to assure you that if you want to get to the point that you can clear your mind during meditation that you can and using breathing is a great way to do it. I used to do this often, but I actually kinda forgot about it, so I was glad of being reminded. I had some trouble because I'm also sick, so having trouble breathing through my nose and coughing were also a bit distracting. It does become nice to not get stuck in the mental chatter of everything that needs attention.
Just wanted to respond and say that I used to be the worst writer I knew! My writing has also grown from being here at Kaplan because we have to write so much! I love sarcasm, but can't use it as much here because... let's just say I have been taken the wrong way! I also have very little motivation to keep going with school through the holidays, but I do really like this class. I just know that I will be done in April so I have to "Just Do IT". Good luck with the December B-day's!
ReplyDeleteI agree that it was difficult to compare the Loving-Kindness exercise and the Subtle Mind exercise. I understand that you got lost in between the directions (I did the first time). I am starting to learn that the more I repeat the exercise the easier it is focus longer.
ReplyDeleteHow would you suggest someone calm their mind like yours is? Not getting stressed over daily thoughts is something I find myself struggling with.
Heather, this exercise was quite difficult for me as well. I have to agree with you when you stated relaxing the cardiac activity and lowering the blood pressure,that is a plus.I think the problem with the exercise was voice and tone of the lady instructor, it wasn't as soothing as the male voice in prevous exercise.
ReplyDelete