A "mental workout" is the use of contemplative practice or meditation on a daily basis. Benefits of a "mental workout" can improve attention, memory and overall improved mental health. I would like to try to implement "mental workouts" more, I just do not know where to start to find the right methods or recordings for my needs.
Monday, December 5, 2011
The Mind-Body-Spirit Paradigm
After reading the text in this weeks unit, I was looking forward to experiencing the Loving-Kindness exercise since I had such an great breakthrough with the last meditation exercise, the Rainbow Meditation from last unit. However, I became quite anxious during this exercise. I felt as if I could not focus and at times, had no answers. I wanted it to be beneficial. When I read it, I understand and comprehend the experience. But listening to it, I only felt reminded of how much I do not love myself at times. Maybe it is the time of day I find myself doing this exercise. I typically do them before bed. I understand the book says to practice it in the morning. I wake up at 6 and get two kids off two school and then at some point during that my 2 year old wakes up and than my day is chaos. I finally find time for myself in the evening. I am probably in more of a negative state of mind by this point. I just do not see how I can block an allotted amount of time, without an interruption.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Heather,
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with you when it comes to contemplating on yourself in the exercise. I felt the same way when having to meditate on my own experience. I had a very negative attitude towards myself when reflecting of all of the pain I have dealt with in the past. However, I am glad that this exercise brought this to my attention because I am now aware that this part of my life needs to be addressed and overcomed.
Heather,
ReplyDeleteDon't get frustrated, these exact feelings that you are expressing is exactly how I felt after the rainbow meditation. I found myself abnormally down after wards, and that really is not my usual upbeat, positive self. I felt that maybe there is a whole world in there that I'm usually too busy to see?
As far as your time predicament is concerned,(and I am certainly new at this mediation thing as well) it seems that as long as you can find solitude at point of the day - evening - that's probably more important than forcing it through a busy morning. Best of luck! I'm with you :)