Sunday, January 15, 2012

Integral Health Plan


Introduction:
It is important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually, and physically because it is important to understand the process of human flourishing. Once a professional truly achieves integral health, they can than share the process and appreciate the journey it took to get there. The areas that I need to develop to achieve the goals I have for myself are in all three, psychological, spiritual and physical. This course has been an introduction for me into health and wellness therefore, I am just beginning on my journey to integral health.

Assessment:
To assess myself in each domain, I used Wilber's biograph example shown on page 112 of our text. (Dacher, 2006) Psychologically I need to work on getting myself into a better place with my self-esteem and self-worth. I have been a stay at home mom now for 2 years after having worked in the professional field for over 15 years. I have struggled with my self worth and lost who I am. Returning to school has improved this somewhat but not completely. Physically, I have forgotten about myself. With recent heart surgeries for a congenital heart defect, medications have made it difficult to lose my pregnancy weight and have since added more weight, which doesn't help me psychologically. Spiritually, I have recently become more in touch with my spirituality after completing grief counseling courses and coping with my own recent loss. Overall, my score on a scale from 1 to 10 in psychological and physical I will say I am at a 5. Since my first assessment to now, I would rate my spiritual aspect at now an 8.

Goal development:
Physically, I have made it my goal to take care of myself and address unaddressed issues. I have already scheduled an appointment to seek the help of a physician and receive an ultimate work up see what issues we can tackle. I will always have my cardiac condition, however I can stop ignoring other ailments and my weight and start feeling better. I will also engage my children along this journey of physical fitness. I noticed that when we are doing things together, my sons open up more. Psychologically, my goals are to improve my negative internal dialogue by positive affirmations. Keeping a journal can assist me in tracking my emotions as well. Practicing patience and intent when communicating with my children, as well as others, is also a goal I would like to see myself achieve. Spiritually, my goal is to practice meditation daily. Meditation will also help me to achieve my mental health goals by keeping me calm and centered.

Practices for personal health:
For the physical domain, I will increase my daily exercise routine. That is, going from zero to start at 30 minutes a day, starting of slowly. I will also keep a food journal to make myself aware of the “mindless” eating. As stated above, psychologically, I will resume writing in a journal to keep track of my emotions and practice intention in my words and actions. Spiritually, I would like to devote more time to meditation and reflexion. I enjoy the breathing exercises as well as the Rainbow Meditation and Loving-Kindness Practice. Getting my family to participate in these as well would benefit us as a family unit.

Commitment:
I plan to track my progress in a journal. Following along with this blog will also help me to achieve my goals. I can look back at previous posts and see if I have followed through with my plans and how I have grown from the beginning of the unit to now. Strategies I can use to assist in maintaining my long-term practices for health and wellness is to surround myself with positive people, remove negative behaviors, and involve my family and friends in achieving my goals and helping them to create their own. 

6 comments:

  1. Heather,

    I truly enjoyed reading you integral health assessment and goals. I am fascinated about your plans to include your family in your meditative practice. My son is a very active 18 year old and my spouse is a bit of a workaholic so it is very difficult for me to get either one of them to sit with me to meditate. If you can share any tips or advice about this I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Jazell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heather:

    You stated that psychologically you need to work on getting yourself into a better place with your self-esteem and self-worth. What are some ways that you think will help you our in putting yourself in a better place with your self-esteem and self-worth? May I suggest that you start doing some real nice and rewarding things for Heather to start? You have already gone back to school and that is a real positive thing.

    I am sorry to hear about your recent heart surgeries for a congenital heart defect. I know that you said it is difficult to lose your pregnancy weight, but don't give up. You and do it! Just take one day at time and go at a pace that is good for Heather.

    As far as achieving your psychological goals to improve my negative internal dialogue, keep a smile on your face through the bad times, watch comedies and laugh a lot. Laughing is good for the mind, body and soul. It's an excellent healer Heather. By reading your blog, I can tell that you are serious about beginning to achieve certain goals. You have a positive attitude, this is why you will make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Anthony... your post was so kind... I really appreciate it :)

      Delete
  3. Heather, I'm sorry, to hear about your heart surgeries, and I hope you are feeling better. I think you are well on your way to getting your self esteem back, and being full of energy. You have stated what your intentions are, so therefore you have given it significant thought. Keeping a food journal is a good idea, I may have to do that myself because some days I do mindless eating as well. Let your son be your guide, because kids have a way to get us through the rough spots in life, because they love us unconditionally and the sun rise and sets on us in their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good assessment. I never thougt about using a journal. That's a very good idea because you won't forget anything important because it is written down. It will also help you to rewrite new goals and plans. I also plan to implement an exercise and nutrition regimen. Good luck with that. It's not going to be easy, but it can certainly be accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's unfortunate you had heart surgeries but with your good assessment approach, i think you well do well in your healing and improving your health and wellness. You will achieve your self esteem and be full of vitality after your initial recovery process, hard work, and dedication to healing properly. Keeping a food journal is a great way to monitor and modify your diet to improve upon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete